Saturday, October 4, 2014

Rolling Rolling Rolling....Over the hill?

I've always been a little worried about growing old because I stop playing, so I enjoy trying hard to remember to play.

I need to remind myself in the winter to go for that toboggan ride, strap on the skates and do that one spin I know how to do, though technically if waiting for the judges score it may not truly be considered a spin; there might be a disqualification involved in a real competition.    I can't remember the last time I ever spent an afternoon playing Barbies with my daughter and it's not likely to happen again.    This IS going to be the year I strap on cross country skis and head into the forest trails once again; something I once did regularly and loved so much.   With much sun caution taken, take to the beach and have a swim in the summer.   Enjoy a long leisurely bike ride on a bright, breezy afternoon!    PLAY, yes play a little!

This past week; as in prior and future weeks, I was afforded the opportunity to work with a group of preschool age children.   While enjoying the daily outdoor time and in supervising the wee little cuties, a few were enjoying the chance to roll down a grassy bank on the play yard.   Watching them I suddenly realized I couldn't recall the last time I had enjoyed the same!    Maybe I should join in.   A little one standing close by raced with me up the hill and watched as I got into position and began to roll down!    Fun and brought back many memories of enjoying much outdoor play and then, I felt something I hadn't at all expected....I felt very ill!!!!    Oh I thought I might puke!    I aborted my "play mission" 3/4's of the way down the embankment and stood up!   Whoa...standing up should be done ever so slowly following the urge to puke!!!!  

Well now, will I do that again?    Crazily of course I will.    I live very closely to a ball park surrounded by gradual and not so gradual sloped banks and will take advantage of the chance to practice this particular play procedure!    I have young visitors now and again and may have grandchildren one day who will require Grandma join in!

I must confess however, I had no idea going "over the hill" would make me feel so "over the hill"!  I'm experiencing "over the hill" both physically and figuratively, but vow NOT to let that spoil my desire to keep playing!   Even while this old gal's body may betray me, my mind will keep me going one way or another!!!!   :)   I will return to grassy embankments!!!    Play on!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Monday and the Sky is Falling

 Mondays have the same potential as any other day to be great or not so great, that's a fact.    This past Monday, no exception. Unfortu...