Monday, May 12, 2014

Going to Summer Camp...Words CANNOT express! ;)

Even my hubby has summer camp memories, though he tells me he didn't especially enjoy being there. My brother went to Quin-Mo-Lac and he didn't enjoy his time there so much either, but I am willing to bet things will be a little different for this camper, in the summer of 2014.  Growing up and as adults with children we have certainly had numerous 'camping' experiences and with other families and with the Scouting movement which were greatly enjoyed but the 'Summer Camp' per say was not a part of those memories.

I'm not speaking of some lucky or unfortunate kid I might know; depending on how one sees the impending opportunity, heading off to camp this summer,   I'm talking about ME, yes, that's right, me!!!   This summer for the first time ever in my life, I am going to summer camp and I am totally stoked for the experience!

Now aside from the usual, dorm lodging, swimming, campfires, etc., my experience is going to be quite different in comparison to ones typical camp stay!  My experience will include NO talking, and the use of ASL only in communication!   I can hardly believe it myself!!!

OH trust me when I say I HAVE thought about this a great deal!!!   When I began my two years of American Sign Language at Fleming College back in 2005 the existence of the Bob Rumball Centre for the Deaf, and opportunity to attend a week long ASL Immersion camp was presented to our class and it came up time and time again and I couldn't stop thinking about wanting to attend.   All the while thinking about it imagined how much fun it would be and the huge benefits it would provide in solidifying my training and confidence in using ASL.   I also thought WOW, that would make me very gifted in knowing how to 'Talk with my hands"!   I've heard the cracks about how I might die, not being able to talk...HA!, I say...nope, I would simply have to work at signing more!!    I be takin' the whole "gesturing" to a much higher level!!  

Most recently I completed my course in 'WeeHands", signing for babies and their parents and have begun presenting demo's for parents and their babies at the Ontario Early Years centres with the hopes of bringing interested parents to attend 4 weeks of classes with me in Signing and Singing for Babies-Signing and Singing at Home.   Over the summer I will be doing demo's as much as possible and putting the word out there in our communities aiming for a restart of classes in September!   Attending the ASL camp in Parry Sound will only work to strengthen and add to my skills as well as help me gain greater confidence in knowing I am doing what I should be!   Since I also enjoy singing I look forward to a more fluid skill level of signing that I can enjoy when singing as well.   There is nothing more beautiful than watching the fluid and poignant motion of song in ASL sign.   During our classes our instructor had a friend join us at Christmas and together they signed and sang Christmas hymns and our class was literally moved to tears in awe of just how beautiful it was.   I have a "Living List" wish to sing the national anthem at a public event and perhaps at some point should it happen I might also be able to sign it!!   I'm getting way ahead of myself but there it is, in print and if this is one of my "callings" I suppose it could come to pass!

Well, this is pretty wordy...true to my nature but I had to share how incredibly excited and Fortunate I am to be 'going to summer camp'...which also goes to show, it's never too late if you really want something!    I am presently loaded with a cold and feeling pretty rough, but you can't imagine how exciting it was to submit my camp application today!!!    I have posted my camp "have to haves" on the fridge like any kid stoked to be going to camp...even if it is three months from now!!!!

Sleeping bag...and perhaps duct tape already set aside!


No comments:

Post a Comment

It's Monday and the Sky is Falling

 Mondays have the same potential as any other day to be great or not so great, that's a fact.    This past Monday, no exception. Unfortu...