This is so hard to do.
I suspected this might be true but in participating in a discussion forum on the Melanoma Network of Canada site, had the information confirmed today that I may no longer be an organ donor.
It is hard to imagine that while I would want to help someone continue to live on, I can no longer be a donor due to the disease Melanoma. It would be with additional risk to an already frail body that my organs would be given to someone in need. Even while I am NED (No Evidence of Disease), melanoma could surface at a later time and attack the body of the unsuspecting host of the gifted organs.
I don't recall, but it may have taken time to decide to become a donor many years ago and talk with my family about it, but knowing I can no longer be one is even harder to think about.
If you are not a donor, please give it some thought. There are wonderful living reminders of how this changes lives for so many, all around us.
I had given up donating blood a number of years ago even though while tests at the clinics may have shown my iron up and capable of a donation, I always needed extra time in leaving the gurney's and finally at one clinic passed out as I arrived at the snack table for refreshment; maybe seconds too late! I was then disappointed also having only returned as a donor a few donations before. I have remained on iron supplements since then.
I guess I'll stick to doing whatever I can in offering kindness to others, whether that be as simple as holding a door for someone with mobility challenges or volunteering at any number of events/organizations in helping out! I know having been the recipient of such, even the smallest acts of kindness mean so much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
It's Monday and the Sky is Falling
Mondays have the same potential as any other day to be great or not so great, that's a fact. This past Monday, no exception. Unfortu...
-
Mondays have the same potential as any other day to be great or not so great, that's a fact. This past Monday, no exception. Unfortu...
-
Not the least hard thing to bear when they go from us, these quiet friends, is that they carry away with them so many years of our own live...
No comments:
Post a Comment